Premium content

The Music Temple

Location: Montebelluna (TV)
Designer: Arch. Mauro Gugel
Project: Ristrutturazione dell’ex tabacchificio di Montebelluna
Serramenti / Windows and doors: Costruzioni Metalliche Martinbianco, di Martinbianco Carlo
Profili in acciaio per serramenti / Steel profiles: Palladio Spa, San Biagio (TV)
Foto / Photos: Auge Editore
Esse Music is currently one of the largest musical instrument stores in Italy and Europe. The new premises situated in a former tobacco drying room that dates back to 1922, have become an authentic music temple known to all musicians

Esse Music is currently one of the largest musical instrument stores in Italy and Europe. The new premises situated in a former tobacco drying room that dates back to 1922, have become an authentic music temple known to all musicians: excellent collections of acoustic guitars, electric guitars, base guitars, new and vintage, drums, percussions, all nature of instruments. An enormous musical box where you can come across famous personalities (Red Canzian is at home here, and he is not alone!), rockers using brand new Fender Stratocasters, people of all ages mesmerized by the electronic delights in the DJ equipment department, and you can also watch world famous drummers or even concerts live there: a stage has been set up in one of the sheds, where bands of all genres play. Besides the shop there is also a recording studio and a pub.

The renovation project: this historic industrial building has a basilica like structure, formed of a regular weave of solid brick pillars, infilled with perimeter separators and stone interiors, wood floors and trusses, and a part of the roof formed of a bearing structure in steel reticular trusses, covered with transparent undulated elements. The aim of the renovation project is to restore value to this historic former industrial complex in Montebelluno, a precious witness to an important architectural morphology at the gates to the city. To reinstate the functions of the building and give  architectural prestige, the additions and excrescences added over recent years on the main façade have been eliminated, leaving it free to enhance all its original splendour. The small badly made windows that had been added in later times have been replaced with large windows of the same shape and size as the originals in the main façade. Removing all superfluous elements has revealed the large entrance arch in the “basilica style” building, and is now the main entrance again. The pub on the ground floor is beneath the “gallery”, a covered walkway and a new link in the complex which, by a corten steel open stairway, leads to the multifunction areas on the first floor.

Window and doorframes: the customer required new frames being used that were as similar as possible to the original barred windows, so very slender and respecting the original style of the old building. The excellent performance offered by steel meant that all the requisites this ‘precious’ setting demanded were fully satisfied: anti-theft, sound and heat insulation but, above all, steel was the only material able to support the large and very heavy windows: about five meters high by two meters wide. The large windows can be opened manually by two transom windows with a long side lever with a design that is exactly same as the original, and there are then two wing windows with handles that also are in the same period style.

Marzia Urettini
Acciaio Arte Architettura 59